Sociology Research Guide
Sources of Data and Polls:
- Statistics and Demographics
- Sociological Data
- Roper Center for Public Opinion Research
- Polling the Nations
LIBwidgets - shortcuts that make researching a little easier
Related Research Guides
- African American Studies
- American Studies
- Area Studies: (Asian Studies, Jewish Studies, Latin American Studies , Mexican American Studies, Middle East Studies, Slavic and Eurasian Studies, etc.)
- Geography/Environmental Studies
- Gender Studies
- Political Science/Government/Public Policy
- and Social Work
Start with Sociological Abstracts and supplement with discipline specific resources depending on your topic, such as:
- ATLA Religion Database
- Gender Studies Database
- Communication and Mass Media Complete
- Social Service Abstracts
- Web of Science
- Find others by checking Research by Subject or contact me for suggestions.
Google Scholar: finds articles, pre-prints and post-prints of articles, reports and other “grey” literature, and materials in institutional repositories. Access Google Scholar from the Library web site (which authenticates via EID) to ensure there are active links from your search results to UT licensed electronic journals. More information on Google Scholar.
Dissertations and Theses Fulltext covers 1861-present, with 1997 to present available as PDFs. The database includes more than 90 percent of the doctoral dissertations accepted each year in North America with selective coverage for other parts of the world.
UT dissertations are also linked from the Library Catalog and available in the UT Digital Repository. Any dissertations and theses that are not available locally can be requested throughInterlibrary Loan.
Journal rankings tools include: JCR Journal Citation Reports, Web of Science as well as Google Scholar, which maintains a list of the top 100 journals ranked by h5-index and h5-median (more information on Google Scholar rankings and metrics).
Questions? Contact me.